"To improve the lives of those who need it most,
Bob & Sequel has turned to the land"
What we do
To improve the lives of those who need it most, Bob & Sequel has turned to the land. Developing skills and growing African livelihoods in a meaningful and sustainable way is possible when the right individuals have a deep understanding of the communities which are most in need of transformation.
With more than 50 years of combined mentoring and business experience amongst its members, Bob & Sequel seeks to transform lives by creating and supporting 100% BB-BEE Small, Medium and Macro-sized Enterprise (SMME) and Medium, Small, Micro- and Macro-sized Enterprises (MSMME) ownership from entry level onwards. Our particular focus areas are gender equality, profitable land tenure, environmentally sound practices (and thus addressing climate change), development of multi-disciplinary learning and data collection for technological development.
Through these focus points, our ultimate aim is to encourage and assist young entrepreneurs to invest their wealth, time and knowledge into the development of community structures. This means true community involvement through long-term relationships with SMMEs and MSMMEs.
“Bob & Sequel seeks to transform lives”
We have turned our experience and expertise into a well-structured operation to facilitate learning. We educate individuals and communities by developing financially sustainable landscape- and crop-based businesses. The key is to work on staff development from the basic labour level, through supervision stages, up to top management. We have recognised that the real gap between developing individuals and skilled experts is sustained, hands-on mentorship.
Our speciality lies with transferring the skills in various disciplines of landscape technology services, agriculture and ornamental horticulture. It’s our way of bridging the skills gap in our area of expertise. We follow a particular process that allows us to be involved in every step of developing the SMME/MSMME on an ongoing basis, leading to long-term auditing and mentoring to be personally invested in the business’ success.
A critical part of this is our continuous efforts to source new business for our partner SMMEs/ MSMMEs, as well as partnering with public and private enterprise and encouraging them to get involved for the sake of improving their BB-BEE (or equivalent empowerment index) ratings. Extending these efforts to all types of talent at all levels is what has made us successful at generating community development.
Our Development Evaluation Programme (DEP) is a wide-reaching auditing system which can be customised and adapted to any industry and any business level. Its central objective is to drive incremental, progressive development within SMMEs/ MSMMEs from the owners to the staff in every aspect of their work.
The DEP is in line with the South African National Qualifications Framework (NQF) Levels 1-4 in Horticultural-Related Business (or Landscape DEP/LDEP). The qualification is attained through an affiliation and accreditation process at the same levels as those for agricultural businesses. It can include formal assessments of individual ability, aptitude and psychometric evaluations as necessary.
This process is implemented through a number of steps that have been demonstrated to have positive and concrete effects:
- We assess candidate SMME/MSMME owners with aptitude tests that are carried out by qualified psychologists.
- We then source funding for the candidate in the public and private sectors.
- Development then begins of all supporting structures for the new businesses, such as accounting support, vendor accounts, human resources practice and so on..
- New markets are evaluated and we assist with tender compilation and effective quoting..
- Management and personnel mentoring then begins, using our task-specific auditing and management tools..
- We use existing operations to develop new SMMEs/MSMMEs in situ, where we implement the target skills in the landscapes where they are useful from a business perspective..
- In the public sector, we develop candidates in Departments of Public Works and Extended Public Works Programmes (EPWPs) using their existing awarded contracts to maximise business opportunities..
- We have a number of public and private partner organisations – many of them centred on environmental and agricultural development. We maintain relationships whereby we can generate new areas of business..
Bob & Sequel has worked on more than 50 projects throughout Africa and the Middle East as of the end of 2016, and that number is growing continuously. Part of our success lies in our awards and certifications: we are endorsed by the Tshwane Building Heritage Association and have received a Gold SALI (SA Landscaping Institute) Award for Historical Representation.
Our certifications have led to Bob & Sequel being the preferred partner for high-profile projects, such as the development of the Presidential Palace in Ghana, the Royal Prince’s Zoo in the United Arab Emirates, the National Zoological Gardens in Pretoria and the South African Department of Basic Education. Each of these projects had at their hearts efforts to create sustainable living opportunities and jobs for individuals who needed it most, where community empowerment and gender equality are central.
We have spearheaded projects in a number of nations, including:
- The United Arab Emirates
- South Africa
Bob & Sequel has several partners who we have worked with and have endorsed our work across borders and through a wide spectrum of projects. They include :
- MASDT – The Mobile Agricultural Skills Development Transfer
- The Tshwane Building Heritage Association
- SALI – The SA Landscaping Institute
- SAGIC – The SA Green Industry Council
Articles about Bob & Sequel’s work have appeared in the media several times, with the most recent being two features in the SA Landscaping Magazine’s August and October issues.
Through our systematic approach to development and empowerment, we seek to grow wealth and opportunity through growing the land for generations to come.